Creation of CFBL
Upon his arrival in 2008, the French ambassador, Maurice Gourdault-Montagne, launched the Plan école a large scale project investigating the future of French education in London.
Following a long series of work sessions, the old Kingsway College site in Camden was chosen and acquired, guaranteed by the Embassy’s trust.
An innovative financing plan was established thanks to the creation of a not-for-profit organisation called the French Education Property Trust, which financed the purchase and renovations with the help of a State Guarantee, and now rents the site to the School.
CFBL opened its doors in September 2011, the first secondary French establishment to be created in London sinc 1915.
The building is a grade II listed building in Camden. It was built in 1874 by architect Edward Robert Robson and catered for the needs of over 1000 students at the time!
Sidell Gibson Architects, Richard Brearley and Patrick Bankhead, have worked hard to respect and preserve the original architectural assets of the building, (the ceiling arches in the dining hall, the roof and its steeple), all the while introducing a modern touch to blend in harmoniously with the original decor.
Carefully taking into account all contemporary legislation concerning schools (with particular emphasis placed upon disabled access), emergency exits, fire doors, and with complete complience with current environmental standards.
After completion of the first phase of renovation, an entirely new three level wing was built complete with natural plant roofs. Its proportions complement the existing buildings without copying them. This new building houses new classrooms, a big multi-purpose hall and the secondary section's library.